CALL FOR APPLICATIONS TO THE REDLINE WRITERS IN RESIDENCE PROGRAM
RedLine is a diverse urban laboratory where arts, education and community converge. Our vision is to foster forms of social practice in the arts that inspire inquiry and catalyze change.
Until recently, RedLine’s focus has been largely upon the visual arts. Now, RedLine has expanded its focus to include the art of writing. Beginning in the fall of 2011, four writers joined the community of painters, sculptors, photographers, filmmakers, and other artists who have been making RedLine their home for the past three years.
RedLine writers will remain in residence for a 2-year period. In exchange for a small stipend, they will receive studio space and a great many opportunities to interact and collaborate with other artists, visual and verbal, who make up the RedLine community, as well as with members of the community at large. For example:
- Writers will participate in to lead workshops, reading and discussion groups, and other educational forums, where they can hone their craft and share it with others.
- They will have an opportunity to help develop and contribute to a variety of forums for publication, including online publications and major exhibits of contemporary art.
- Writers will help to create and lead community-based arts and writing projects involving the local public.
Writers working in all genres, styles, and media are encouraged to apply, including poets, playwrights, fiction writers, creative nonfiction writers, journalists, essayists, lyricists, screenwriters, and bloggers. Our goal is to bring together as diverse a community of writers as we can. We especially encourage applications from writers whose work cuts across boundaries between media — textual, visual, and aural — and who seek opportunities to collaborate with other artists on multimedia projects.
Because the RedLine Writing Artists in Residence program is brand new, it presents an ideal opportunity for writers seeking to build their own creative community from the ground up. There are no established traditions, entrenched habits, or well-worn paths. The program is truly a blank page, ready to be filled in by writers committed enough to their vocation to want to imagine, and realize, a truly unique creative community.
TERMS OF WRITERS-IN-RESIDENCE PROGRAM
The RedLine’s Writing Artists in Residence Program is a two-year commitment. Exceptions to the term are handled on a case-by-case basis.
Writing Artists pay $45.00 monthly toward the RedLine utilities bill.
Applicants must submit by Mail:
RedLine Writer's in Residence Program
2350 Arapahoe St
Denver CO 80205
Please include the following in your application:
1) 15–20-pages of writing that demonstrate the quality, scope, and versatility of your work. These pages can be a self-contained piece, a collection of pieces, or a smaller part of a larger work.
2) A 750–1000-word response to the following: What do you believe constitutes an ideal creative community, and how would such a community serve the larger community? How do you envision that community taking shape at RedLine, and how do envision your work as a writer contributing to that end?
6) A CV.
7) A statement of your current employment status.
Applications will be accepted during the summer of 2013.
RedLine is an equal opportunity employer. Discrimination because of race, ethnicity, sex, religion, handicap, or sexual orientation is prohibited.